The iPad Started it
It started the night I got my iPad. What started, I guess the journey to having a food blog. Well, maybe a few days later. I can’t remember the exact date. (yes, I said that!) I justified the iPad purchase to myself and my husband by using it as a cookbook. Think of all the recipes I will have at my fingertips!! One of the first apps that I downloaded was the Allrecipes app. Upon searching the app I found an intriguing recipe called Uglies. I was curious. I love the name. That was last September. Since then I can’t count the number of times I have made the recipe. I have modified the uglies to have a taco theme. I am anxious to make them with eggs and sausage. They have so many possibilities of mixtures…oh the permutations are dancing through my head. I make them and flash freeze the uglies and have them on hand for a quick meal or to pack in a lunch.
Uglies Submitted by Food Seeker this is the link for the original version. Photographed is my Taco Version and here is my recipe.
- 1 1/2 pounds ground beef
- 2 Tbsp of Taco Seasoning
- 1/2 cup of water
- 1 can of refried beans
- handful of jarred jalapeños
- 8 oz of diced green chiles (mild, medium, or hot- you pick)
- 2 Cans of Refrigerated biscuit dough (we actually used store brand crescent rolls smashed flat)
- 1/2 c Mexi-Cheese
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F (200 degrees C). Lightly grease 12-16 muffin cups.
- In a large skillet or frying pan, cook ground beef till done. Add Taco Seasoning and 1/2 cup of water.
- Add Green Chiles, Jalapeños, and Refried Beans to pan and cook till heated throughout.
- Roll out each biscuit on a floured surface so that each biscuit is 6 inches across. Put the biscuit in the muffin tin and fold up sides to create a cup shape. Fill each biscuit fill almost to the top with the meat mixture; top with cheddar cheese.
- Bake in preheated oven until biscuits are baked, cheese is melted and tops are golden brown, about 15 minutes.
I personally love anything with toasty cheese on top. mmmmmmmm!!!
Here are some ideas for combinations:
- Pizza Uglies
- Ham, Egg Uglies
- Taco Uglies
- Veggie Uglies
- Meatloaf Uglies
Let me know if you come up with other combinations and what your results were.